Thursday, February 4, 2010

Things I should know, but don't

Although a voracious reader, I must confess that I probably watch too much television. The advent of a DVR for $5 per month thanks to the magic of satellite tv has transformed my life. Sometimes during an excited conversation of a good show, I find that scene from Natural Born Killers flashing through my head, the one where the old Navajo man looks at Mickey & Mallory to see "too much tv" written across their bodies.


Of course, there are ways to rationalize this pastime. I'm plumb out of interesting books to read, as my favorite authors can only write so fast. Thanks to the DVR, I can work out while watching tv shows. Maybe my favorite reason is that sometimes watching tv really is educational. Growing up, I was always interested in art & science but hated history. As an adult, I'm trying to make up for some of that slacking & there are some pretty cool channels that make this a very pleasant pursuit.

Some of my personal favorites are A&E, the Military Channel & Discovery. I also happen to be a notorious tightwad & ruthless bargain hunter, so it's my very good fortune, to share some great deals that I've found on cool stuff they sell. Right now, A&E is running some awesome specials like free shipping on orders over $59 or DVD’s for $10 & The History Channel has biographies as low as $5.

There's a huge sale on boxed sets, including a lot of sports stuff (attention baseball fans!), as well lots of great history stuff. There's also lighter fare if the paranormal appeals to you & for the science geek in all of us, there's plenty to quench the thirst. I can't remember exactly how I used to live happily without a DVR & the ability to instantly order anything I want from the internet but I'm sure it will come back to me eventually.

No comments: